Saturday, February 22, 2014

Top 5 Reasons I'm Jealous of my Cat

My jealousy for felines first occurred many years ago. I wanted to avoid a test at school and told my Mom I wished I was a cat and never had to leave the house. She then told me I would live a very boring life and I wouldn't be able to go to the movies, amusement parks, any general places of fun. I saw her point, but remained jealous.

Now that I'm a Mom I'm even more jealous of cats. Enter Booyah and my five reasons below.


1. Sleep

This should be obvious, and it is, but there's also a hidden jealousy. Every morning at about 5 minutes to 6, Booyah starts to meow. On some days he'll even make a big production by scratching the couch. Chris' alarm goes off at 6 a.m. Most mornings it's Booyah who wakes us up. By 7, Booyah is happily sleeping on the couch while I struggle to get Hannah out the door to daycare. I wish I could be a jerk and wake everyone up and then go back to sleep.

2. Stress

The only thing that visibly stresses Boo out is loud noises. The other day they were testing the fire alarm. He ran under the bed and presumably slept there for a few hours before coming out. I wish I could run to my bed and sleep for a few hours to escape something that's stressing me out - work, bills, life. Grr.

3. Responsibility

As Chris and I were discussing yesterday, the only "job" Booyah has is to bathe himself. He doesn't have to report to work, he doesn't have kids to take care of and he has no bills to pay. The last is definitely a sore subject with me as every time we pull in to our building's parking lot Hannah yells, "Booyah's House!" I understand why she says it - after all, he's always there. Which leads me to another reason why I'm jealous.


4. Lack of interaction with the outside world

Booyah's never had someone cut him off in traffic. He's never had to stand behind a woman in line at Tim Horton's who wants to discuss flavour shots for hours and then tries to pay with an Amex card. He's never had to deal with anything in the outside world except the vet. Not that I'm jealous of his vet visits - those he can keep.

5. His looks

Booyah has never taken a bad photo. Like most cats, he is beyond photogenic. He has a gorgeous black coat of fur, a beautiful tail and sandlike eyes. And other than the aforementioned bathing, he does absolutely nothing - he was just born this way. So when Hannah captures me on day 3 of being sick with a greasy, knot-filled hair bun, glasses, zits and no makeup and he makes it in to the background of the photo looking like a handsome devil? I'm jealous.

There are many reasons why I'm jealous of Boo Bear. But I wouldn't trade him for the world. When he snuggles up to me at night or when we get home and he meows at the top of his lungs letting us know he's missed us, I'm also really thankful and grateful he's ours. He is amazing with Hannah. As I was writing this post he hopped on me and started to purr, and now he's relaxing on the blanket beside me.

I love him.

If only we could train him not to meow at 5:55 a.m.

Are you jealous of your pets?

© 2014 YYZ Bambina. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...