Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Stream Short, Dramatic, Funny Lies with Netflix Canada #StreamTeam

"I have 12 older brothers."

"I have a dog."

"I brushed my teeth already."

These are all lies my daughter tells to me on pretty much a daily basis (she is DEFINITELY not Prince Hans). I try really hard not to lie to her - but everyone does it.

And I won't lie to you - most weeknights I'd rather be watching Full House with her than streaming Color Crew. (I love that Blogger squiggly lined color, but it's the actual name for the show.) By the time Hannah is in dreamland most evenings I have less than 45 minutes to myself after doing household chores. Often that's not enough time to watch an episode of House of Cards (which has a LOT of lying) or any other show streaming that's considered "an hour" on television.

So, I am very excited that House of Lies is now streaming Season 3 AND the Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is now streaming Season 1. I've also been quickly binging my way through 3rd Rock from the Sun, a big personal favourite from the 90s. All shows have episodes that are less than 30 minutes and both shows deal with lies (see the theme for this month?) And I'm very excited to share a post with adult streaming content since I haven't done it in a while.

House of Lies


I have a mega girl crush on Kristen Bell. Even after watching Frozen a billion times, I still have a mega girl crush on Kristen Bell. She's one of the four main actors in House of Lies - which, not surprisingly from the title, is a show where all the action is propelled by lies. The show follows Marty Kihn (Don Cheadle) as he navigates his pod (of which Kristen's character Jeannie is a part of) through top-level consulting (also know as lying) and personal life with his father, son and ex-wife who is major work competition.

These episodes can't be streamed around kids - there is nudity and swearing and just general things I don't want to explain to Hannah why certain characters are doing certain things. But it's like a nightly hour drama (work, love, friendship, drama) packed in to less than 30 minutes - and I love it!

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

I don't want to spoil anything for everyone, but less than two minutes in to the pilot episode of this new Netflix Original show I knew I was going to love it (let's just say it has the best theme song ever).

From Tina Fey and Robert Carlock (the folks behind 30 Rock) comes a story of the Ohio Mole Woman - four kidnapped ladies lied to by their doomsday cult leader.

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt begins with Kimmy (Ellie Kemper) and the other ladies being discovered after Kimmy was held captive for more than 15 years. They make an appearance on the Today Show and Kimmy decides New York City is the place to begin her life again.

The show heavily relies on interesting characters and situations where Kimmy is a fish out of water to entertain. There have been many moments where I have actually laughed out loud. I can't wait for season 2!

3rd Rock from the Sun


I LOVED this show when it first aired. Watching it as a young teen versus an adult made me realize how many jokes went over my head.

3rd Rock from the Sun is a show about aliens who come to Earth to learn about humans. They have to keep their true identities secret while getting humans to trust them so they can report back to their boss - the Big Giant Head.

It has a stellar cast John Lithgow as Dick, the High Commander, Kristen Johnson as Sally, the Safety Officer, Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Tommy, the oldest alien stuck in a teenager's body, the Information Officer and French Stewart as Harry...who we eventually learn has something in his head to communicate with the Big Giant Head. Dick is a professor at the local university, and is in love with fellow office mate Mary (Jane Curtain).

Since the show began airing in 1996 there are some story lines that are dated (Harry gets a job at a video store, Dick gets locked for days in a stairwell - today people would have their cellphone on them, etc.). However it is still just as funny as it was almost 20 years ago.

All six seasons of the show are available to stream and I'm trying to pace myself so I won't be upset when I reach the end.

What shows do you stream that deal with lying?

Disclosure: I am part of the Netflix #StreamTeam. As always, opinions on this blog are my own.

© 2015 YYZ Bambina. All Rights Reserved.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5/06/2015

    I LOVE House of lies...Also have a big girl crush on Kristen Bell she is ADORABLE

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...