Monday, August 31, 2015

#DinoTrux latest and greatest from Netflix and DreamWorks #StreamTeam

Actual conversation I had with my daughter's preschool teacher:

Miss F: Hannah really likes dinosaurs.

Me: Yeah, she really does.

Miss F: She picked up a dinosaur earlier today and told me, 'This is a Brontosaurus', and when I looked at the bottom of the toy, she was right!

As you can see, dinosaurs are big in our household. It's mostly emerged from Hannah's obsession with a show called Dinosaur Train. It's about a time-travelling train that's filled with dinosaurs. What preschooler wouldn't like that show?

So when I heard about DinoTrux I was pretty sure we had another Netflix Original show that would quickly make its way into our usual rotation. (Recently when we were on vacation in the United States we picked up a King Julien beatbox as part of a Wendy's kids meal that plays the theme song, which of course thrust that show back into the spotlight.)

DinoTrux is based on the award-winning children’s book series by Chris Gall. DinoTrux features hybrid dinosaur/construction vehicle characters, and follows the larger-than-life adventures of two unlikely best friends, Ty Trux, a massive Tyrannosaurus Trux, and his tiny friend Revvit, a razor-smart Reptool. Together, the Dinotrux and Reptools unite to defend their new community against D-Structs, the biggest and baddest Dinotrux of them all, who threatens to destroy everything they’ve built.

After singing along with the theme song that she'd never heard before, Hannah was kind of confused. Were these trucks? Were they dinosaurs? OH! They are both! It took the Revvit cracking out his screwdriver to fix something for her to completely get it, and get it she did - "Mommy, I really like this."

I really like this show too. I like how the small Revvit and big Ty Trux are friends. I like how they work together to solve problems. I like how it is slightly more true to life (ie Revvit was afraid Ty Trux would eat him when they met...which to me, is slightly more realistic...only of course if we suspend the fact they are also vehicles, this is a children's show after all). It kind of reminded me of Animal Mechanicals, with way more dinosaurs and meant for older kids.


All 10 episodes of Season 1 are available on Netflix now, and at least two more seasons will be released in the future.

Are dinosaurs discussed at your house? What's your or your child's favourite? Will you watch DinoTrux?

Disclosure: I am part of the Netflix #StreamTeam. As always, opinions on this blog are my own.

© 2015 YYZ Bambina. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...