Friday, April 27, 2012

Baby's First Fish

There were two gifts on Hannah's registry that were really meant for me. As much as I am all about her being her own person with her own likes and dislikes, I'd at least like to give her opportunities to enjoy what I do.

I really like fish. Like REALLY like them. When I was younger, my dream job was to be a marine biologist or, you know, work at SeaWorld. When I realized you needed to have good marks in science and math, those dreams removed themselves in high school. My marks in those classes just wouldn't cut it (I took Grade 12 Advanced Math TWICE in order to see if I could pass an OAC Math class - no dice).

Anyhow, the two gifts I wanted for mysel- er, Hannah, were the Baby Einstein Baby Neptune Ocean Adventure Gym and the FisherPrice Ocean Wonders Aquarium.

We purchased the Baby Neptune Ocean Adventure Gym for Hannah before she was born with gift cards we received at our coed baby shower. It comes with an "electric water-filled toy" that was almost a small version of the Ocean Wonders Aquarium.

Hannah likes the Gym, and as she gets older I'm sure she'll take advantage of all the different toys it has to offer.

As for the Aquarium I would hmm and ha every time I saw it in the stores. I even showed it to her once and she seemed pretty interested but I just didn't know if I should buy something somewhat similar to what she already had in the "electric water-filled toy".

Then a couple of weeks ago Chris' parents threw Hannah a family shower. And one of her presents WAS the Ocean Wonders Aquarium. When we were setting it up in her crib, I think Chris and I were more impressed than she was. OK. I definitely was more impressed. It plays five songs, has three white noise settings, the fish move, there are bubbles and lights. Once Hannah realized what it could do, she will stare at it and coo at it for a good 20 minutes. Which is amazing, 20 minutes for any parent, knowing their baby is entertained and happy, is priceless. Later on, if it helps the baby go to sleep, the Aquarium also has a remote so you can turn it off without entering the room and disturbing their sleep.


So don't hmm and ha like I did - if you want to buy this toy it's totally worth it!

The Baby Einstein Baby Neptune Adventure Gym retails for $99.99 at Toys R Us (we got it on sale for $60) and the Fisher-Price Ocean Wonders Aquarium retails for $44.99 at Sears.

3 comments:

  1. Calvin looooves his gym - it's one made by Tiny Love. We got it at Once Upon a Child for $20. When he was younger, he loved to lay on his back and look at them and around 3 months when he figured out he had hands he would practice touching everything. There's one that plays music when you hit it or shake it and that's his favourite, and he very quickly learned how to turn it on.

    Then he got bigger and I'd sit him in his Bumbo next to it and he'd play, and now he sits on his own and still plays with it. And there are a few toys that I've taken off and he plays with them since he now loves holding things and turning them around and examining them from every angle and shaking them and then throwing them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Oh, and if you haven't already, definitely check out second hand stores for toys! They generally only take good condition stuff and you can get some really good deals. There are also sale/swap groups on Facebook that are a good place to get good deals on toys or clothes and other things that are usually really expensive)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Tahlia, it's great to know some toys really WILL be around for awhile!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...