Sunday, June 24, 2012

Baby's First Canada Day - #TGCBB

Canada Day is one of my favourite days of the year. Anything that includes summer, fireworks and celebrating (in my opinion) the greatest country in the world must equal a pretty fantastic day. And after the age of 19, it's pretty much illegal to NOT enjoy a homegrown Canadian beer on July 1st. (Although, I did pass last year, seeing as I was pregnant and all). And for those under the age of 19, it usually marks freedom from school and the beginning of summer holidays.

This year Chris will be taking shots of the Blue Jays at the SkyDome (I will never call it the Rogers Centre, even though, by stating I will not, I have...). Depending on the weather, Hannah and I may spend Canada Day up at my Grandpa's cottage.

Regardless of where she is, Hannah will be wearing the cute Joe Fresh Canadian onesie her Nonna bought her and her Elmo "Happy Canada Day!" bib her Grandma bought her. Even though she has no idea what Canada is and won't understand how lucky she is to be Canadian until many years from now, it's very important to me to raise her in such a way that she values her citizenship.

I think I was around 9 years old when I finally realized how great our country truly is. Having only then traveled to places in the United States and Canada, I had no idea how people in other countries lived. Not that I wasn't exposed to other cultures - I grew up in Scarborough and a lot of my fellow students were born in other countries, with parents who chose to come to Canada for a better life.

It doesn't matter how many generations ago one of our family members came to Canada, it's easy to forget how awesome we have it. Clean water? We just go to the tap. Sick? We see a doctor and don't have to worry about a bill. And can I mention BeaverTails? I would eat them every day for the rest of my life if I could.

Not to mention getting to experience four weather seasons, our coloured money, Loonies and Toonies,  hockey, la cross, the zipper, our Olympians, basketball, bowling (five-pin), Terry Fox, Banting and Best, Barenaked Ladies, Anne of Green Gables, Smarties, Kraft Dinner, Ketchup chips, the Jolly Jumper (a new favourite of Hannah's)...the random list of reasons why we should be proud, happy and thankful to call Canada home goes on and on and on.

And I don't think I even need to mention how gorgeous our provinces and territories are from coast-to-coast. From the mountains to the Maritimes,  our landmass is beautiful.

So on Canada Day, I will proudly dress Hannah in red. (And in the years to come every July 1st I will teach and remind her what it means to be Canadian.) After she's gone to sleep, I will crack open a Molson Canadian, light my sparkler and celebrate my country.

Happy 145th Birthday Canada!


This post is a part of The Great Canadian Blog Bash, hash tag #TCGBB on Twitter. To win some fabulous prizes, please visit the blogs below.


Thank you to the TGCBB hosts Kat from Kat's Confessions, Nancy from Whispered Inspirations, Patty from Positively Pampered Patty, Jen from Mom vs. the Boys and Stephanie from Good Girl Gone Green in addition to all of the generous sponsors!

5 comments:

  1. Love it! We have so many reasons to be proud including wonderful writers like you!

    Thank you so much for celebrating with us! Have a very Happy Canada Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! So glad to have found your blog! Happy First Canada Day to Hannah! Thanks for participating in TGCBB we are happy to have you! Also, the more you hop the better, just let them know that you found them through TGCBB and they will visit u too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is such a wonderful post! thanks for taking part! ketchup chips and the 4 different seasons are my favourites about Canada too!oh and of course smarties!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh so sweet! Love how you will celebrate after hours too!! :) Thank you so much for joining us this year. We are happy to have you! Happy Canada day!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Canada day to you! Thanks so much for joining us, Hannah! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...