Friday, June 08, 2012

Music Review - Snacktime! (Album by Barenaked Ladies)

When I was 10 years old, the first "cool" tape I bought was Gordon by the Barenaked Ladies. Their "If I Had $1,000,000" song was too catchy to pass up. Plus my family owned a K-Car (a nice, reliant automobile). And my favourite food was (and still remains to be to the chagrin of Chris) Kraft Dinner (even if I do enjoy it sans Ketchup).

So when I found out I was pregnant, one of the first things I did was to ensure I owned Snacktime!, the Barenaked Ladies children's CD.

I didn't listen to it until Hannah was a few weeks old and we discovered listening to the Beatles and Bob Marley soothed her. So why not my other B band, the Barenaked Ladies?

She was soothed by them too. Even if I shook with laughter as I held her while listening to some of the songs.

Some tracks have slower tempos, some are faster. All have the quirky BNL feel. Of all the amazing songs, I like two best. "7 8 9":

Once upon a time in our solar system
We couldn't make do without 9
But Pluto's not a planet now
So 8 will do fine






My other favourite is "Pollywog In A Bog" ("Out come the legs for the jump, jump..."). 


I find myself singing these two the most. To Hannah. And, uh, to myself.

The title track "Snacktime" includes famous people telling us what their favourite snacks are. They even have their own version of the Alphabet song, albeit with much more unique and interesting words. The disc includes 24 tracks in all and is approximately 54 minutes in length.

According to Wikipedia, this is the last album to feature Steven Page before he left the band. I really hope the remaining members will consider making another.

You can download Snacktime! from iTunes for $9.99.

2 comments:

  1. Music is awesome. When I was pregnant and Calvin was squirming (which he did A LOT), he would slow down when I would sing along with the radio. And now, he'll almost always smile when we sing to him. What's really funny is that from a really young age, he would laugh when I made up words to the parts I don't know. How does he know?

    On an aside note, Steven Page is part of another group called The Art of Time (had to look that up) that does Beatles covers along with someone from Spirit of the West, and a couple of other known bands (I can't remember names - they were doing an interview on the radio when I was driving somewhere) and they're really good. Most recently they did a cover of Sgt Pepper in Toronto somewhere as part of the anniversary of it, and last year it was Abbey Road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe, that's so sweet! I wish Hannah would have stopped squirming if I sang to her. Instead, I'd always have to stand/sit down to get her to stop. Hannah really likes beat boxing for some reason...I guess because it's not actual words and she thinks she can make those sounds already? Have you taken Calvin to a music class? I'm pondering doing that when she can sit up by herself.

    And thanks for the Steven Page update :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...