Thursday, July 19, 2012

Book Review: Harry By The Sea

Harry By The Sea by Gene Zion, pictures by Margaret Bloy Graham is a perfect summer read.

When I was little Harry The Dirty Dog (the first book in what I came to realize as an adult is actually a series) was one of my favourite books. Right now my copy sits in Hannah's closet ready for her to appreciate it. 

So when I saw Harry By The Sea at the library I had to check it out and see what it's all about.

The Harry stories are all about mistaken identity (namely Harry's). In Harry the Dirty Dog he doesn't want to take a bath so he runs away. When he returns, he's so dirty (spoiler alert!) that his own family doesn't recognize him.

In Harry By The Sea, Harry is hot at the beach and there is no room from him under the family umbrella. So he seeks out places to stay cool. At one point, he walks in a fat lady's shadow. (The books way of describing the woman, not mine...I guess in 1965 it was OK to use the term "fat lady" in children's books.) As he attempts to get cool a big wave comes and drags him into the sea. He gets covered with seaweed and beach goers assume he is a sea monster. Through a series of funny events, Harry shakes of the seaweed and is reunited with his family again.

I like this story so much that once we have to give it back, I will go out and by myself Hannah a copy.

Harry By The Sea retails for $8.99 at Chapters Indigo.

© 2012 YYZ Bambina. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...