Tuesday, June 04, 2013

On Gender (AKA Why I Let My Daughter Play With Any Type of Toy)

Hannah wears pink, likes bracelets and enjoys brushing my hair.

She also loves Thomas & Friends, playing with Duplo (the regular, primary colour kind) and pushing around toy cars.

I will never tell my daughter that she can't play with something. And I will tell my daughter never to make fun of what anyone else chooses to play with.

When I was little and was told I was getting a sibling I really REALLY wanted a sister. What would be better than a real life doll I could dress in my Cabbage Patch Millie's clothes?

And then my brother was born.

My brother and I still play together -
mostly board and video games.
And at first, I was upset (well, as upset as you can be at age 3.) But then the "boys" toys started to roll (quite literally) through our front door. An airplane? A train? How come I didn't get any of this fun stuff?

As the years passed, I played Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Ghostbusters and helped my brother create our very own car mat using pencil crayons and science bristol board. My brother played Barbies with me in return (preferring to drive Ken around in the Convertible).

Other than playing with the car mat, our favourite past-time was running our S&R General Store from our basement.

Not only did it teach us sharing and cooperation, but we got to play with toys that in the 80s and 90s weren't "meant" for us.

Just because something is pink doesn't mean a boy shouldn't play with it. And a dump truck toy can and should be enjoyed by all.

Today, most of Hannah's girly toys are gifts from the older generation. Once she is able to request gifts of Santa and for her birthday, I won't care what they are - as long as they help her be creative, imaginative and educate, that's all that matters to me.

What do you let your kids play with?

© 2013 YYZ Bambina. All Rights Reserved.

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree! My husband is a bit old-fashioned (or so he thinks) and got all worked up that I bought my son a play kitchen...do you know how many MALE chefs there are these days?! Anyway, my son LOVES it, it keeps him SO busy (which is the key factor here!) and my husband has taken back his ignorant approach to it all ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In our house, my partner cooks and I clean. And I think that is really awesome. It's also awesome that your husband has changed his mind. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...