Friday, October 26, 2012

The Top 5 Things I Learned at ShesConnected 2012

As previously mentioned, last weekend I attended ShesConnected Conference, a two-day blogging conference in Toronto.


I met lots of awesome people - bloggers and brand representatives. And I'm still in awe of all the swag (favourites in my house - Hannah loved her Telus stuffed animal, I loved the gift certificate from Molson Canadian 67 and Chris really likes my "Baconista" tee from Maple Leaf Foods).

However, the most important reason I went to the conference was to LEARN how to be a better blogger (and in some cases, a more law-abiding one).

Without further ado, here is my top 5 things I learned at ShesConnected.

  1. When uploading your posts to Facebook, use a picture. Pictures get more real estate in people's news feeds and Facebook users are more likely to interact (ie "Like") a picture than they are a status.
  2. Brands follow bloggers on Twitter to check them out. Make sure your Twitter account is a true reflection of who you are. If you want to work with a brand, like them on Twitter and engage them - that should get you on their radar.
  3. If you approach a brand (which was highly encouraged by many of the speakers and panelists), detail exactly what you want from them AND exactly what they will get for sponsoring you. Highlight uniqueness.
  4. If your blog earns more than $10,000 a year the government wants to know about it. Bad news - ANYTHING you received for free to review is included in your annual income. Good news - anything you review which you purchased can be included as an expense. The speaker of this session was excellent, you can follower her @shoeboxbegone.
  5. It is illegal to ask people pay to enter contests. The legal session definitely scared me the most, and I left with more questions than answers (we only had 45 minutes after all), but if you do giveaways on your blog I would definitely check out the Competition Bureau website to make sure your giveaways are legit.
Additionally, I learned that no one looks like their cartoon avatar. Glad Chris, Hannah and I aren't alone. :)

Did you attend ShesConnected? What did you learn if you did? If you haven't attended a blogging conference, what would you hope to get from it?

© 2012 YYZ Bambina. All Rights Reserved.

8 comments:

  1. I will say it again and again, SO great to meet you! I feel like I learned so much at SCCTO but still have so much to learn. I will definitely check out the Competition Bureau website. Are there any particular parts of it that are the most important?

    Kerrie
    http://familyfoodtravel.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ones that are top of my mind are not to open it to Quebec, state the prize has no cash value, and ask a skill-testing question...at least those are the ones I wrote in caps in my notebook :)

      And of course, it was great to meet you!

      Delete
  2. I was so curious to see what you had to say about this conference. This is one I didn't know about:( Thanks for sharing!! Happy S.I.T.S. Saturday to you!
    Laurie @ Pride in Photos

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to the SITSGirls Bloggy Boot Camp recently and learned so much! We also had a legal portion and my eyes were opened! Glad you got to get to a conference. They're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like it was a great opportunity to learn so much! I need to go to one of those...still need to learn soooo much more to really benefit my blog. Thanks for the info, so helpful!!! visiting from SITS. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing what you learned with us #SitsGirlsSaturday

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of good information there (and I didn't even have to go to the event). Thanks for sharing.

    Stopping over from SITS Sharefest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome tips, Sarah! Thank you so much for sharing. The legal stuff scares the crap out of me!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...