Sunday, November 11, 2012

Lest We Forget - Remembrance Day 2012

Today is Remembrance Day in Canada.

This morning my Mom, Hannah and I watched the ceremony in Ottawa on the CBC. More than a decade ago when I checked out Carleton University, my Mom and I went to the ceremony in person, and it's quite an emotional experience.

As a proud Canadian, I am so thankful to our veterans for the sacrifices they made for us so our country could become what it is today.

One of my favourite stories my Grandpa tells me about his youth has to do with World War Two. His older sisters (my Great Aunts) had enlisted and were fighting overseas. In 1944, unbeknownst to his parents, my Grandpa travelled all the way to Montreal from Toronto to enlist. However, being only 16, and therefore not eligible, his parents were called to collect him. My Grandpa begrudgingly returned to Toronto and became a War Warden in his neighbourhood - riding his bike, alerting everyone to turn out their lights during air raid precautions.

Today, I think fondly of my ancestors who fought for my freedom - and am thankful to those brave enough to enter the unknown.

© 2012 YYZ Bambina. All Rights Reserved.

1 comment:

  1. So great that you got a chance to hear these memories directly from your grandpa.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...