Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Why I Would Be Daniel Tiger's Neighbour

Other than Back-to-School, fall can often signify the return of our favourite television shows AND the introduction of potential new favourites.

Although I am very excited for How I Met Your Mother to return (can't wait to see how the gang deals with Marvin Wait For It Eriksen), it's a children's show that has quickly become my new favourite.

Daniel Tiger's Neighbourhod is the most amazing children's show I've seen in awhile.

When I was little I LOVED Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood, especially the town of Make-Believe, so I had a hunch I'd enjoy this show. Even if it is aimed at preschoolers.

Image: http://www.pbs.org/parents/daniel/about/
The official website describes the show as a new animated program for preschoolers ages 2 to 4 which builds on the pioneering PBS series, Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood. This new series, for a new generation of children, tells its engaging stories about the life of a preschooler using musical strategies grounded in Fred Rogers’ landmark social-emotional curriculum. Through imagination, creativity and music, Daniel and his friends learn the key social skills necessary for school and for life.

The tunes are catchy - and teach important lessons, such as "When something seems bad, turn it around and find something good," (check out the YouTube video below when Daniel is disappointed with his mushy birthday cake), "Friends just like to play with you," and "Grown ups always come back."


I know I can't resist the opening when Daniel sings "It's a beautiful day in the neighbourhood, a beautiful day for a neighbour. Would you be mine, could you be mine, won't you be my neighbour?"

I really wish Hannah and I could be his neighbours and let trolley drive us to all the fun, informative adventures Daniel has.

Daniel Tiger is cute and humble. Not annoying like Calliou. Daniel Tiger's friends and family are also beyond bearable.

I will be tuning in when I can. And am crossing my fingers this series comes out on DVD or BluRay so that when Hannah is old enough to learn from it, she can.

Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood can be seen weekdays on PBS.

© 2012 YYZ Bambina. All Rights Reserved.

2 comments:

  1. So funny, I am watching Daniel Tiger with my son (named Daniel!) as I read this. So funny. He loves the show, and I think it's great for kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is funny!

    I'm glad I'm not the only one who loves it...even if I am slightly out of their demographic :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...