Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Book Review: Empowered YOUth

This is the first book review I've done on my blog that didn't have cute cartoons or text that rhymes.

However, it's probably the most important book I could read for my relationship with myself and with my daughter Hannah as she gets older.

Empowered YOUth is the heartfelt story of Michael and Jeffrey Eisen, who rose up from a tumultuous, emotional past to come together in a loving, respectful relationship as father and son, coach and student. Through this engaging narrative, they provide a refreshing perspective on how parents and kids can work together to empower one another by opening the channels of communication, dissolving fear, and surrendering the need for control.

As I was reading the book, following Michael and Jeffrey's stories, I saw a lot of myself and people I know in their journeys. The most important point I personally took away from this book is that support from people in your life empowers you - regardless of your age. 

The book isn't at all preachy, and Michael and Jeffrey are honest and humble when describing how they came to be the Founder of the Youth Wellness Network and a successful Life Coach respectively. 

They focus on showing you how to look positively at situations versus negatively, preferring to look at that infamous glass as half-full. Blaming someone or something else for your current circumstance versus being open to challenges as teaching experiences. Being fearful versus being faithful.

An example they provide is:

"I will never be rich." (Fear Thought and reality for most parents)

"I'm intelligent and resourceful, and I'll always have enough money." (Faith Thought)

There is a wonderful Resources section at the end of the book to help readers put in to practise the simple and straight-forward tactics Michael and Jeffrey used to change their lives.

Check out the book trailer:


This book has taught me that I need to be a "life coach" for my daughter as much as I need to be her mother. It has taught me we all have paths and coincidences in this life - which is a journey not a destination (as Michael and Jeffrey mention many times). I know this is a resource I will reference again and again as Hannah gets older.

If you are a parent, teacher or someone who works with youth, this book is your guide to "Do As I Do" versus "Do As I Say." Join Michael and Jeffrey's journey while you embrace your own. Empower youth and empower yourself.

You can order Empowered YOUth from Amazon. The book will also be available in stores on October 1, 2012.

Disclosure: I received an e-copy of this book in order to write the review. Thoughts and opinions are all my own.

© 2012 YYZ Bambina. All Rights Reserved.

1 comment:

  1. Looks fantastic! I have to order a book tonight for something else, going to add this to my list. Thanks for the review!

    Kerrie
    http://familyfoodtravel.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...